Sunday, November 20, 2011

SEA Games

Before the SEA Games began last week, I thought that the games would be water-related sports like swimming, diving, canoeing, etc.  I told DH I thought it was funny how the SEA games included non-water related sports like Tae-Kwon Do, archery, ping-pong, etc.  DH laughed and said SEA stood for South East Asia.  I felt a bit sheepish afterwards. I blame my kids for my lack of brain cells these days…ha ha.
Anyhow, we live near the Bung Karno Stadium in Senayan where many of the events are being held.  Traffic has been especially terrible since the games have started.  Our complex and the nearby hotel must be housing many of the participants because we see athletes everywhere.  I must say that I can hardly wait for this whole thing to be over with.  I didn’t know the traffic could be worse than it already is normally.

P1110091

I do think it is neat how the city is decked out with colorful flags and signs and blow-up Komodo Dragons. The Indonesians do have a lot of spirit or pride in their country.  The kids like seeing “Modo” and “Modi” which are the mascots for the games. My 3-year old calls the two Komodo dragons “Komodi” every time we pass by them.  My driver laughs when my daughter says “Komodi” so it must mean something very different in Indonesian.

P1110087
P1110089

We see people everywhere wearing red shirts and recently we have seen vendors selling red and white checkered hats, shirts, and of all things, scarves with the word Indonesia on it.  DH thought it was funny that they were selling knit scarves in Indonesia so he bought one.  We see people wearing the scarves.  I laughed when I first saw the scarf.  Does it get cool or cold enough in Jakarta to wear a scarf ever?  Um….no!  All DH and I could say was, “Only in Indonesia!”  We have found ourselves saying that quite often in the 8 months we have lived here. 

P1110103

Now that we feel pretty settled in Jakarta, we like it here.  There is never a dull moment living in the Big Durian.  DH and I always say you just have to expect the unexpected in Indonesia.  You never know what unusual or interesting thing you may see or that may happen next!

No comments:

Post a Comment