Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Future cars


Even though I have a car in Indonesia and two cars in USA, I am still always daydreaming about buying more cars. Especially for when we return to the US in the future. Generally, I am thinking about one of two catergories: 4x4's and alternative energy / energy efficient cars.

I have always been a fan of 4x4's. I even spent a lot of my youth reading magazines and anything else I could about the subject, and yet I've never owned one. But I am pretty committed to getting one when I return to the US of A. I really want to get back into hunting and other outdoor projects. I generally like buying new cars (although our Indo car we bought used), but the trouble is that I just can't get over how much a new 4x4 truck or suv costs as it would not be a primary vehicle. So, I'll likely get a used one. Some of my personal favorite 4x4's are the Toyota FJ-40, Ford F150 4 door, and Toyota 4 door trucks. Sometimes I even think of going all out and getting a 3/4 ton Suburban / Expedition, but that's a lot of car. So far, my practical side has won out, and I've bought just enough car to meet my needs.

Recently, I've been doing a lot more research into high fuel efficiency vehicles. I guess its the nerd in me coming through. I've been in love with the Ford Fiesta (picture from autoblog.com) and Focus (especially the electric version) ever since they've been redesigned. Finally, America is getting refined, gorgous compact cars. I am also excited about other cars just now coming out like the plugin Prius and the Ford C-Max cars (even though they are missing the critical third row. Come on Ford!). 2012 should be an excited year for cars. :)

A couple years ago, I came fairly close to buying the Honda Civic CNG powered car. I really like the idea of filling up at home whether it is natural gas or electric. My commutes are generally well below the 100 range of CNG and electric cars, so I think they would suite my commuting needs perfectly. The main reason I never pulled the trigger is that I currenlty own a perfectly servicable Pontiac Vibe that gets great gas mileage (34 on highway) and is paid off. It is impossible to beat the economics of a paid off, reliable, fuel efficient car.

What I am really waiting for is the high efficiency family hauler. I would love to buy a 7-8 passenger car that gets 30+ mpg. Currently, for whatever reason, such a car has yet to be avaiable in the US. I currently have a Mazda 5 which is a fanastic car that seats 6 and get 30 mpg in the real world, so that may have to do for now until something better comes along.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens when we move back (whenever that is)...

No comments:

Post a Comment