Saturday, August 20, 2011

Jakarta and Recycling

I have been trying to locate places where I can deposit my recyclables such as office paper, cans, glass, and plastics.  So far, my search seems to be in vain.  All I could find online were articles about how Jakarta and Indonesia is lagging behind the world when it comes to recycling and people posting comments that Jakarta itself should be recycled.

I suppose that many people in Jakarta are not particularly concerned about recycling.  We all know that trash pickers go through the trash and take out things that could be recycled or reused.  The only place I know of to deposit some recyclables such as paper, plastic, and metals is at the International School where my kids go to school.  However, I think those bins are mostly for the students to deposit recyclables from their lunches and snacks and not for the general public.

I think given the lack of places to take recyclables, I find it interesting that many of the plastic bags I have seen have some kind of recycling message such as the words "please recycle" printed on them. The recycling message seems to be more prevalent on bags from bookstores.  Still, I  haven't seen any place where you can deposit plastic shopping bags.  Anyone know of a place where you can take recyclables here in Jakarta?





No comments:

Post a Comment