Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mandarin Classes

I've been thinking for awhile now that I would like my kids to learn to speak Mandarin Chinese.  As a kid, I went to Mandarin classes every saturday for around 5 years.  I also took 1 year of Mandarin in college.  My parents did not speak Mandarin at home.  We spoke Taiwanese, which is very different from Mandarin Chinese.  My Mandarin isn't fantastic, but I can speak it well enough. 

DH thought I could teach the kids to speak Mandarin, but I find that to be an almost impossible feat.  I have to really think to make the switch from English to Mandarin whever I find a need to speak Mandarin. It just doesn't come naturally to me.  When my oldest was a baby, I tried to force myself to speak to him only in Mandarin.  That didn't last very long.  The kids do know some songs and some words in Mandarin. They can count to 10.  They know colors and body parts.  They know other random vocabulary words, but they can't converse at all in Mandarin.

I have some friends that are from China and they enrolled their children in Zhong Xin Hua Wen Mandarin Enrichment Center.  The fee is Rp. 3.600.000 for a 3-month term (24 lessons)...lessons are twice a week.  The registration fee per year is Rp. 300.000.  Textbooks used in class are an additional cost.  The maximum class size is 6.

Today I took all 3 of my kids to the center for a class to see how they would like it.  I don't think I can stomach the cost of enrolling all 3 kids.  Still, I wanted to see how the classes were structured and how my kids like the classes.  We are going to try the classes for 1 month and see how the kids like them before we make any final decisions.  We will be spending roughly $400 US dollars for the kids to try Mandarin classes for a month!  The owner said we could pay the fee for 1 child for 3 months but have all 3 kids come for 1 month or 8 sessions.

I already know that I will enroll my oldest.  I just am trying to decide if I want to pay for the younger 2 kids to take classes.  The classes are 1.5 hrs long for each session.  It was a little long for my younger kids.  The younger kids were in a class separate from the older kids.

My oldest liked the class.  The teacher said she was impressed with him.  He has a good memory and he catches on quickly.  My youngest was totally uncooperative and would not repeat any words or listen to the teacher.  She mostly just colored during class today.  My 4-year old was an active participant for about an hour and then her attention span gave up.  She was running around and not paying attention for the last half hour.

I will post again at the end of 8 sessions to give my impression of the school and the classes.  As of right now, I have a good impression of the center. I still will have to give this alot of thought.  I wonder if I can hire a Mandarin tutor for my kids for less than the roughly $400 US dollars I would pay per month if all 3 kids were to attend the center.  I may have to look into that option.



FYI:

Zhong Zin Hua Wen Manadarin Enrichment Center
Head Office: Plaza 1 Pondok Indah
Jl. Metro Duta BL UA/52, Jakarta Selatan 12310
Phone: (021) 7699506/ (021)7699360
Fax: (021)7699505
Email: info@zhongxin.co.id

Branch: Gedung STC Senayan, 5th floor No. 242
Jl. Asia Afrika, Pintu IX
Gelora Senayan, Jakarta Pusat
Phone/Fax: (021)57936272

Branch: Rukp Golden 8 Serpong
Blok G 8B No. 3&5
Gading Serpong Tangerang


2 comments:

  1. Mandarin Chinese is rapidly increasing in popularity. People are attracted to the antiquity of and exotic flavor of Chinese culture. With a much more complex lexicon and wide variety of intonations, make Mandarin one of the most difficult languages to master. Thanks a lot.
    Cursos De Madarín

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Yes, there must definitely be an attraction to the Chinese language and culture as children from many different cultures are enrolled in the school where my son currently is taking Mandarin classes.

      Delete