Monday, July 1, 2013

Fishing at the apartment

Yep, that's right, I went fishing at my apartment this afternoon.  After work, I went for a stroll around the complex to a mostly abandoned area behind the hotel that has a fairly big pond.  I decided to sit down next to a local guy with a fishing pole and strike up a relaxed conversation in Indonesian (mixed with English).  Before long, Tedi offered to let me fish a bit with some worms as bait.  I ended up catching two baby snakeheads (one of them below) and a sunfish-like fish. 


For the uninitiated, snakeheads are notoriously aggressive eaters that are currently wreaking havoc in Florida (due their illegal introduction) and are native to SE Asia.  They even have lungs and can survive quite a while outside of the water.  This little guy put up a decent fight for his size, and I thoughly enjoyed the experience.  Tedi told me that they can get as big as 4 kilos (~9 lbs) in this pond during the rainy season and are quite tasty.  Needless to say, I will be back to that side of the complex in the near future with a fishing pole of my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment