Sunday, July 7, 2013

Weekend in Kuta, Lombok

Last year, I briefly stayed in Senggigi (NW corner of Lombok) on my way to Gili Meno.  As I took a boat along the coast of Lombok, I knew I had to come back and tour it on a motorbike.  I had heard that the southern coast of Lombok had some of the best beached in Indonesia, so I decided to explore it over the weekend. 

I flew out on the last Garuda flight after work on Friday.  After a two hour delay on the Jakarta runway, we were off!  I finally arrived in the Novotel hotel in Kuta, Lombok late Friday night.  This is the only real hotel on the southern coast, and I thought it would be good to try it out for future family trips. 

Kuta, Lombok is not be confused with Kuta in Bali. Lombok is about 20 years of development behind Bali, so Lombok is still the way it should be: pristine and uncrowded. :)


 Beautiful Novotel Hotel grounds.


View from the beach at the hotel.  The beach at the hotel was made from ooids (small circular carbonate grains).  The geologist in me thought that was pretty sweet.


I decided the climb the peak in the previous picture.


View from the peak.  The hotel in the center of the image.


I rented a motor bike and headed about an hour to the east.  The road was very rough, and I got a flat tire.  :(  Luckily, I made it to the next small town and got it fixed for $2 USD.


After lunch, I headed about an hour to the west of the hotel.  The roads were new, and the views amazing. 


I visited Mawun beach and the view was breath-taking.  Only a few people there enjoying the beach and small vendors selling drinks and sarongs.


I wrapped up the day with a dinner on Kuta beach.  While I waited for my food, some water buffalo strolled by.  Literally five feet from my table!

Sunday morning, I went for another ride out west and then headed back to Jakarta.  It was an amazing weekend, and I look forward to visiting Lombok again!

No comments:

Post a Comment