Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fishing in the haunted pool

Since I had a good time fishing at the apartment the other day, I went to a local mall (Pasar Raya) and bought a fishing pole and some accessories.  I also had my driver pick up some worms (cacing in Indonesian) along the street where they sell all kinds of pets.  I decided to check out an old, abandoned swimming pool next to our apartment to see if I could catch anything.

 
The abandoned pool.  I set up in the shade where the old bar (for serving cold drinks) was.

 
I caught an eating size bawal hitam on my first cast!  I caught two like this.

 
I also caught several of these little guys.  They remind me of sunfish back in Texas.
 
 
I ended up catching quite a few fish in about an hour, and I just tossed them all back.  Right as I was packing up, an indonesian guy strolled over, and we chatted a bit.  Turns out he works (and lives) there, and he is actively stocking the pool and a smaller pond nearby from the other ponds at the hotel.  He said there were 6 bawal hitam, 1 two pound snakehead, and lots of medium size catfish in the old swimming pool I was at.  He said I was welcome to fish as I pleased, and I assured him that I would not keep any as he likely needs them to feed his family. 
 
He also said other ponds on the property had much bigger fish (which agrees with Tedi's account).  I feel like Jeremy Wade as I am investigating where the "River Monsters" are hiding.  Next time, I'll have to try another area of the hotel grounds.  :)
 
He also told me that the staff avoids the old pool area due to the frequent sightings of ghosts.  He said he personally saw a little boy and girl running around the old pool late one night.  I guess I can't say I am surprised as the hotel has been around since the 1970's...

No comments:

Post a Comment