Saturday, June 11, 2011

National Monument

While my brother-in-law was in Jakarta visiting with us, we took a trip to the National Monument.  The locals call it Monas.  It is 132-m high and is made from Italian marble.  The very top of the monument is a gold-leaf gilded flame.  The base of the monument houses numerous dioramas that depict the history of Indonesia's struggle for independence. 

The entrance fee is 2500 rupiah per adult and less for children. I can't remember how much the entrance fee was for children because the ticketing person didn't charge me for the kids (ages 2 and 4 yrs.).  I want to say it was maybe 1000 rupiah.

The large room at the base of the monument that houses the dioramas was very dark.  It was also very hot inside.  I'm not sure it was air-conditioned.  Either that or the air isn't being circulated very efficiently.  We went early on a week day so it was not crowded at all and I still felt rather uncomfortable temperature-wise.  I've heard that it is wise to avoid going on weekends or holidays when there are lots of people around.

For a fee, you can take a lift to the top of the monument.  The fee was 7500 rupiah per adult.  Again, I wasn't charged for the kids so I'm not sure what the fee is for little ones.  The lift is rather small and very crowded.   Unfortunately, unless there has been a recent rain to clear out the smog, you only get a smoggy view of the city of Jakarta from the top.  I think it is still worth a look though.  My girls enjoyed going up the lift and looking out over the city.

Oh, I should mention that we had walked all along the outside of the monument and could not find the entrance.  The entrance is on the other side of the street across from the monument.  You have to go down some stairs and then down a long corridor in order to get to the ticket office.  After that you go back up some stairs and are able to then enter the base of the monument where the dioramas are housed.  As you walk towards the monument, you pass a courtyard with some interesting reliefs. They are quite interesting. 


National Monument or Monas


Gold-leafed flame at the top of the monument



Some of the reliefs that can be seen as you walk back towards the monument coming from the ticketing office.


Base of the monument where the dioramas are housed.  The room is very large and very dark.


Smoggy view of Jakarta from the top of the tower


Viewing area at the top of the tower.


My brother-in-law with a group of local girls that were visiting the tower.  With the exception of the National Monument, I don't know that I've been anywhere else in Indonesia where my girls and my brother-in-law generated such an extreme amount of interest from the locals.  I'm wondering if not many white foreigners "Bule" visit the monument. 

My girls.  They refused to have their picture taken with the locals so the locals just snapped pictures of them.  Lots of people asked if they could take pictures either of or with my brother-in-law or the girls.  No one wanted pictures of me...lol.


Overall, we had a great time visiting the National Monument.  As you come out of the monument, there are vendors selling shirts, drinks, and souvenirs of the monument.  There are more vendors as you walk back to the parking area.  Truth be told, the only reason I was able to find the entrance to the monument was because I bought some postcards from a local vendor while we were wandering around trying to find the entrance.  The appreciative vendor took us personally to the entrance of the monument...now that's service.  Actaully, it probably means I way overpaid for the postcards...lol.  Indonesia is a neat place.  Overall, we had a great time at the National Monument.

No comments:

Post a Comment