Friday, July 1, 2011

Ragunan Zoo on a Holiday

We decided to go to Ragunan Zoo this last wednesday.  It happened to be an Indonesian holiday.  Truth be told, I was a bit curious about what it would be like at a local attraction on a holiday.  Taman Safari on a saturday didn't seem that bad, but I guess we were just lucky.  All the guidebooks always say to avoid going to local attractions on weekends and holidays. 

So, although I had anticipated alot of people, I was quite blown away by the number of people that were at the zoo.  They were literally everywhere...on the main roads in the zoo, on the walkways, even on the lawns.  I don't know the last time I saw so many people.





We still enjoyed being at the zoo despite all the people.  DH and I had been talking about whether or not we wanted to make a trip to Komodo Island to see the Komodo Dragons in the wild.  I told DH maybe we could check out the Komodo Dragons at the zoo to see if we thought they were really all that interesting.  The kids loved the Komodo Dragons!  It was cute to hear my 2 year old say "Komodo". We're still thinking about the Komodo Island trip.





It got pretty hot walking around the zoo. I don't know if being around so many people made it feel hotter, but we definitely were feeling the heat.  One thing about being at the zoo on a holiday and I'm sure it's the same on weekends is that there were vendors everywhere!  They sold everything from cold drinks to ice cream to sunglasses and toys.  The kids talked us into getting them ice cream and bubbles. 



We didn't see as many animals this time.  We took our stroller with us and it was difficult to maneuver the stroller on the walkways when there were people everywhere.  Around lunch time, people were sitting on mats all over the zoo.  The walkways also had people sitting on them.  We decided to get lunch at one of the local stalls and then head home.





So, having been at the zoo now on both a holiday and on a weekday, I would recommend coming on a weekday. But of course, if you don't mind the crowds, it is definitely an interesting experience being around so many people!

No comments:

Post a Comment