Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Ragunan Zoo


When DH's brother came to visit in May, we went to Ragunan Zoo. I wrote an earlier post about going to Ragunan Zoo on a holiday.  This first time that we visited the zoo was on a wednesday morning.  We dropped DH off at work and then headed to the zoo.  We were there around 8:30am.  I think the parking fee was 5000 IDR.  The entrance fee is IDR 4000 for adults and IDR 3000 for children 3-12. 




There were people at the entrances with cameras taking pictures of my kids.  They got a little pesky.  My girls don't like having me take their pictures much less perfect strangers.  I have heard there is someplace that you can buy the pictures.  I haven't figured out where or from whom you purchase the pictures despite 2 trips to the zoo.

Going on a weekday morning was great.  It felt like we had the entire zoo to ourselves.  We walked for quite awhile and still did not see the entire zoo.  We all enjoyed seeing the animals, but I also enjoyed the scenery. Ragunan Zoo has a lot of trees and plants. It really feels like taking a trip out to the country even though you are still in the city. So, if you haven't had a chance to go to the zoo, definitely put it on your list of things to do in Jakarta.













Althought you avoid the crowds by not going to the zoo on weekends or holidays, things like the camel rides, train, and horse-drawn carriages are only available during those times.  We didn't see very many vendors either when we went on a weekday.  I guess there are pros and cons to going at the different times.

As one last note of interest, I read on a couple of websites that zoo management has designated set feeding times for the animals.  The feeding time for Komodo Dragons is on wednesdays at 11:00am. Apparently the hippos are fed and get their teeth cleaned daily.  Crocodiles are fed on wednesdays and saturdays.  I wish I had known about the feeding of the Komodo Dragons since we were there on a wednesday morning.  I think that would be so interesting to see.  The kids and I will have to check out the zoo again another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment