Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Pasaraya Grande

Today I took a trip to Pasaraya Grande in Blok M to pick up a few last minute souvenirs for our trip back home.  I went to the 5th floor where they have handicrafts from all over Indonesia.  I looked looked around a bit and decided that I would buy some fans with Batik fabric and some magnets.  I just needed a couple of knick-knacks.  The sticker price on the 5-pack medium sized fans was 70,000 IDR and the 5-pack magnets were also priced at 70,000 IDR.  I walked around and the prices were similar around the floor.  I noticed that there was a small section in the back that had a smaller assortment of handicrafts. My brother-in-law had told me he had bought a few things in the back section and that he was able to get a discount.  Apparently you can bargain on the prices but supposedly only in this small area.  DH had tried bargaining for a carved teakwood Komodo Dragon that we bought a while back in a different area of the 4th floor, but they wouldn't budge on the sticker price. 

Anyways, I got the fans for 40,000 IDR and the magnets for 50,000 IDR.  I also picked up a teakwood elephant basket for 150,000 IDR.  The sticker price was 255,000 IDR.  I asked if I could pay with a credit card.  They said I could, but then I would have to pay the sticker price.  Needless to say I paid cash. So I guess that's the catch...cash only if you want a discount and only on the items in that small section.  There was actually a decent assortment of handicrafts in the back section so I would consider trying there first if you are wanting to buy some souvenirs. I was happy with my purchases.



No comments:

Post a Comment